Friday, March 07, 2008

One Of My Favorite Mats Moments


Here's the Replacements playing "Talent Show" on the short-lived International Rock Awards in May of 19 and 89. The network censors were aware of the lyric, "we're feelin' good from the pills we took," so the button was pushed and the offending line was cut. (You see Westerberg roll his eyes when it happens, but I don't know if he actually heard it or just knew that he would be censored.) To exact his revenge, instead of singing "too late to turn back, here we go" at the end of the song, Westy sings "too late to take pills, here we go" - not once, but three times - and every one makes it by the censors. God, I loved this band ...

Anyway, there's also this.

3 comments:

Joe said...

Obviously, I can't see it, but I'll watch it when I get home. I remember seeing them on the Don't Tell a Soul tour and they opened with that song. Needless to say, it was awesome. And their hair was huge.

Dave said...

I remember this broadcast. Jamie and I were watching it together and we were laughing like crazy. Thanks for digging it up.

Mike said...

Oh, that's priceless.