Thursday, September 14, 2006

Cheesy Goodness

Either of you guys remember this movie from 1976? I only saw the commercial on TV a couple times, but it's one of those indelible memories from my childhood. (Burned in right beside that creepy-ass trailer for It's Alive.) I was momentarily obsessed, as I recall, cutting the ad out of the movie section of the paper and drawing pictures of Infra-Man kicking buttocks. He made The Six Million Dollar Man look like an arthritic pussy. I mean, c'mon! Just look at that costume.

Sadly, I never got to see the movie and never really gave it another thought after a few weeks.

Thirty (gasp) years later, I'm talking with a coworker about this fine piece of cinema, only to discover that it's coming out on dvd October 3rd! Hello, serendipity. Hola, coincidence. (Or if you prefer, How's it hangin', synchronicity?)

I almost DON'T want to see it, because there's no way in hell it can measure up to the expectations of the seven year old me.

Anyhoo ...

3 comments:

Joe said...

The Alamo Draughthouse here in Austin showed 'Phantom of the Paradise' with Paul Williams hosting last week. I saw the trailer when we went to see 'Little Miss Sunshine' (a fine movie). Sadly, I couldn't make it.

Jay said...

Holy shit. I found an incredible website about Phantom of the Paradise TODAY! I'll prolly post something about it tomorrow. Dude, I'm on blog fire!

Dave said...

I do remember watching Phantom of the Paradise when it was on TV originally. My brother beat me anytime I dared speak during the airing of it. I think it did permanent damage. I don't remember the movie you first mentioned though.