Saturday, September 21, 2013

Many Happy Returns, LC


During a triumphant three-hour show on the latest leg of his world tour, Cohen said:

"I hope I stay on the road a little bit longer - but you may not be so enthusiastic when you hear my reason.
You see I want to start smoking next year when I'll be 80. It's been a long barren time. I think it's the right age to recommence. I'd like to do it on stage and I'd like to be standing here like this, in front of sympathetic people like yourselves.
A nurse would come onto the stage with a silver tray. On that tray would be an open pack of cigarettes - the little cylinders gleaming like the pillars of a great temple.
She would approach me in her white pleated uniform, her little stockings and tiny white shoes. I'd take one of those cigarettes and tap it on that silver tray and she would light me up.
I'd say 'nurse before you go, would you mind tapping out a few of those bubbles in my IV'. Then I'd take my first drag and I'd feel extremely relaxed and I'd be able to review some of the disasters of my shabby past, especially my relationship with a certain woman I regret having disappointed."

A Bastardly 79th to the Canadian, may we all smoke at 80.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Field Commander Cohen is an idol of mine. Seeing him live a couple of years ago was a dream come true, and one of the best concert experiences of my life.

Mike said...

Leo cracks me up. Amazing writer and singer and an unforgettable character. I hope I'm that sharp when I'm 50.