Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Suggested Reading for Bastards at the Beach




"The story, in short," Ellison concluded, "spanned all of time and all of space, with a moral and ethical problem." According to Ellison, the assembled executives, including Roddenberry, listened intently, before Barry Trabulus mentioned that he had been reading Erich von Daniken's Chariots of the Gods, and wondered whether the Mayan civilization might be included. Ellison pointed out that there were no Mayans at the dawn of time, to which Trabulus rejoined that no one would know the difference. "I'm going to know the difference," Ellison exploded. "So Trabulus got very uptight and said he liked Mayans a lot and why didn't I do it if I wanted to write this picture." Ellison said. "So I said, 'I'm a writer. I don't know what the fuck you are!' And I got up and walked out. And that was the end of my association with the Star Trek movie."




Currently enjoying this volume. The chapter on Watchmen is lovely.