Sunday, January 20, 2013

Happy Birthday, Now Make Another Film

“I haven’t gotten the big idea,” he told 24 Frames this week. “I’ve got some fragments that are coming, but not the big idea.” The director added, "If I got an idea that I fell in love with, I’d go to work tomorrow. I just haven’t.” Incidentally, it’s the longest dry spell in the career of the “Blue Velvet” director, who previously hadn’t gone more than five years without a feature or major TV series (his recent voice work on “The Cleveland Show” doesn’t count). When this was pointed out, he sort of gave a verbal shrug and said, “It’s what you fall in love with that drives the boat.” Then he added, “I don’t really think about time.” - [from a June 2012 interview]




Happy 67th David Lynch. Here's hoping you give the world ten more films.

5 comments:

Mike said...

He'll share a challenge that groundbreaking artists always face if they live long enough: to put his signature on something that doesn't devolve into self-parody.

Favorite line from a Lynch film anyone?

Jay said...

"Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!"

Jay said...

Favorite Lynch movie?

Eric said...

One of our favorite sayings around the house is "That's fucking crazy, man!"

Bill Pullman and Robert Blake in "Lost Highway"

Mike said...

"Do you know the chicken walk?"

I think that was the moment I realized I was watching something decidedly other than what I had expected.

Favorite Lynch for me was Dune. No, I am so kidding! Wild at Heart.