Sunday, November 23, 2008

Mmmmm, Beer . . .


Interesting article in the New Yorker this week about the guy who founded the Dogfish Head brewery in Milton, Delaware. The passage below is about how he invented the delicious 60 Minute IPA, to which I was introduced by Dave, and to which I re-introduce myself as often as possible. I like the definition of a "session beer." (Good soup tip, too.)

The turning point came in 1999, when Calagione was watching a cooking show on television. The chef, who was making a soup, was saying that several grindings of pepper, added to the pot at different points, would give the dish more flavor than a single dose added at the beginning. Not long afterward, at a Salvation Army store, Calagione came across an old electric football set—the kind with a playing field that vibrates to send miniature players skittering across it. Back at home, he found a five-gallon bucket and drilled some holes in the bottom. He laid a pair of wooden blocks on the football set, put the bucket on the blocks, and strapped the whole thing together with duct tape. (“Pretty high-tech M.I.T. stuff,” he says.) Later, when his kettle was boiling, he put hops in the bucket, perched his contraption at a slant above the kettle, and set the game vibrating. Soon, a steady stream of hops was falling through the bucket onto the playing field and sliding into the kettle.
The beer born of that experiment, known as 60 Minute I.P.A., is still Calagione’s biggest seller. He calls it a beer geek’s idea of a “session beer”—mild enough to be consumed in quantity, but with an unexpected kick. It has the bright, citrusy bouquet of a much hoppier brew, without the bitterness. Wine Enthusiast tasted hints of rose petal, tangerine, orange zest, and nutmeg in it, and rated it a “classic.”
The extreme-beer era was under way.

3 comments:

Joe said...

God, that's a good beer. It's a little expensive for my high-quantity beer diet, but it's a definite treat, especially for "sessions." I notice Dave didn't have any on hand when I came to visit. I guess he keeps that on hand for Poobahs and the like.

Mike said...

I'm eager to try this brew now. I LOVED that old electric football game, such a classic.

Dave said...

The 60 minute is good, but the 90 minute is even better, if you like hops. A lot. I've also had the 90 minute after it has been through an enamel device that is filled with fresh hops. Oh my God.