Thursday, December 09, 2010

A Modest Proposal
















The scale says 195.4 pounds, about 15 more than I'd like. Losing one or two pounds a week, making healthy, permanent lifestyle changes is the way to go.

Here's my simple plan:
  1. Drink black coffee at home.  (I already do at work.)
  2. Eat a healthier breakfast.  No more PopTarts and muffins.  Half a cup of oatmeal, handful of raisins (or chopped up banana), handful of almonds, cinnamon.
  3. Eat a healthier lunch. I take my lunch to work four days a week, so that should be easy.  Turkey sandwich on wheat bread (no cheese), pretzels, fruit.
  4. No more snacking after dinner.
  5. No drinking during the week.  A beer or two every night is killing me.
  6. I'll pay more attention to portion sizes.
  7. I'll work out at least three times a week, but hopefully four.
Anybody else want to take the challenge?  We can weigh in once a week and post it here for additional motivation.  Come on, ya fat pussies.

10 comments:

Joe said...

I'll have to cut out the 85 trips to the candy bowl I make everyday. And the sausage egg and cheese biscuits.

And I'll have to get back to you on the no drinking during the week. No reason to suffer.

Dave said...

I wasn't going to, but since you called me a fat pussy I'm with ya. Last year, I lost about 25 lbs. using Wii, portion control and (yech)light beer. I have managed to keep almost all of it off, but have crept back up above the 180 mark and am ready to trim back to the mid to low 170s. I refuse to quit drinking beer as it interferes with my alcoholism, but I am planning to get back on the exercise kick.

Joe cannot lose any weight as he is still whip thin, if not whip smart. Eric runs marathons and such, so no doubt he is the picture of health.

Unknown said...

damn you!
ok. i'm in. see and i are a t a disadvantage because we are married to women with a freaking amazing metabolism. so there's an abundance of tasty but fattening food around the house.
i'm with dave, the not drinking during the week interferes with my alcoholism and it also keeps the voices in my head silent.
so is this a biggest loser kinda thing?

Matt said...

p.s. info=matt

Jay said...

No, we already know Joe's the biggest loser. But if making it a competition helps, then by all means ...

The plan in my original post was just for me. You guys do whatever works for you to lose the weight.

Friday seems like a good day of the week to check in. Can everybody weigh in by tomorrow, or should we start it next week?

Dave said...

Start next week, or I can weigh in on Saturday and post then.

Mike said...

I'm definitely in, tipping the scales at an alarming 235 or so nowadays. 15 pounds, Jay? Ha! I can do that with a productive sneeze. I need to at least get back down in the 200 range.

I've been working out consistently for the past couple of weeks, but eating more to compensate. Not thrilled about starting this a week and half before Christmas, though.

Joe said...

179 with jeans, boots and a sweater. Here's a before photo for later comparison.

Mike said...

Looking good, my man! I need to go on the Joe diet: candy, sausage, egg and cheese biscuits and alcohol.

Eric said...

Light beer?! You guys are sickos.

I've ballooned well upwards of 170 since my manorexic marathon prime of sub-150 two years ago. My blood pressure's up, I eat too much salt, earned a trip to the ER two weeks ago with late night food antics, and my cholesterol will not be mentioned in polite company. Lifestyle changes definitely in order. I'm in.