Friday, August 25, 2006

The Return Of The Blogger Messiah

Hell, I just figured you guys were sick of hearing me whine about my house(s). Imagine my shock and surprise to learn that you really, really miss my spiritual guidance. Verily I have returned, my brethren, to lead you from the darkness, out of the wilderness and onto the path of an approaching eighteen wheeler.

Nothing against you guys, I've just been down the last few weeks. And nothing kills fun like stress. But I have recently rebounded, so thanks for not letting the blog die.

Speaking of down, getting old blows. I suppose the effects of aging are cumulative (shit, it's all downhill from 18), but boy have they begun to accumulate. I'm not talking about anything as serious as Joe's erectile dysfunction, just little stuff: thinning, graying hair, mysterious aches and pains that come and go, a crown for a tooth that's been filled one time too many, my fucked-up macular degeneration thing.

It's not vanity; it's mortality. C'mon - let's cry like bitches!

3 comments:

Dave said...

Lo, he hath returneth to our pasture. Verily, I may lie down in abject and wanton relief.

I didn't know about the macular degeneration thing. Care to share? My grandmother deals with this. I take Ocuvite because of it being in the family, although so far I'm AOK.

I hear ya on the aches and pains though. The past week has been one of intense physical activity moving into a new school building (I literally had to lug 25 desks up 2 flights amongst many other things) and you'd think I've been through boot camp the way my body feels. Christ (I mean Jay), even mowing the lawn is taking it out of me!

Jay said...

Well, I have the kind that's not hereditary; in fact, they don't know why it happens. Sometimes there's a catalyst, like a hard blow to the head, sometimes not. It started as a blind spot in my left eye the size of a pencil eraser. (It looked like an after-image from a camera flash that never went away.)

I went to a retinalogist on and off over a period of about three years. The pigment was detaching from the back of my my retina! The spot got bigger, and became more of a splotch. Then my vision began to distort. A flat surface would bend in the middle or someone's face on TV would distort as seen in a funhouse mirror. Fluid was building behind the portion that was detached, so they zapped my eye (twice!) to destroy the blood supply.

The spot's not growing anymore, and the distortion is gone, but it will always be there. Luckily, my right eye compensates so I only notice it when I'm reading a book or something. Fun times.

Glad to hear you say that about cutting the grass, though. On a hot day, I'm ready for bed by 9:30 ...

Joe said...

Jesus (I mean Jay), you farts are getting old, aren't you? I'll take erectile dysfunction over rotting peepers anyday - I had to google macular degeneration, btw...I thought it had something to do with your teeth.

ps - Jay, insert joke about your mother here.