Monday, May 12, 2014

Graduation is nigh, seasonal depression kicks in


Like any teacher who tells the truth, I could not be more excited about getting another school year on the books and having a month or two to recharge. But there are always a couple of students who graduate each year who I know I will miss terribly. Sometimes we keep in touch, more often we don't, and life goes on. This year, Mel is graduating and I am seriously sad. This kid has been a T.A. for me, a musical collaborator, a constant source of amusement, a rock during my wedding planning stress, and a true friend. She will be going to college locally in Raleigh, but I will sincerely miss seeing her every day. I am so proud of her, but this is the definition of bittersweet. Cheers, Mel! 

3 comments:

Mike said...

I certainly understand the poignancy of having a special friend move on, but I'm envious of the fact that the roomful of people you spend your work days with all disappear from your life every 9 months. I could sure use me some of that.

Eric said...

Dave, it's entirely possible that if any of the rest of us had superb educators like yourself, we wouldn't be the sorry bastards we are today. Thanks for making a difference.

Joe said...

Congrats on another year down, Dave. I remember the bittersweet feeling of knowing you've helped kids out, but that you won't see them again. Actually, I never really helped any of them out. Just told some good jokes and showed up on time for the most part.