Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Writing About Music Is Like...


I always attributed this quote to Elvis Costello, but evidently I was wrong:
Oh, God! Can I please put in print that I didn’t say that! I may have quoted it, but I think [’7os US actor/singer] Martin Mull coined that. It still follows me around, that one. It’s probably in some book of quotations credited to me.
According to this guy, it probably was Mull, but nobody knows for sure. I like Lennon's line: Listen, writing about music is like talking about fucking.

5 comments:

Jay said...

Both are great quotes, regardless.

Eric said...

I love that "writing about music" sentiment in its anti-Pitchfork incarnations:

The Onion's Pitchfork Gives Music 6.8 or Portlandia's Cat Nap episode, where Pitchfork declares:
"Everything that can be said in music has been said. I think we’re done. We can shut the site down. Good job, everybody.”

Jay said...

If only.

Speaking of writing about music and Pitchfork, here's my all-time favorite shit review. (Apologies for the lesser-blog plug.)

Eric said...

Oh-ho! That is first-rate, overwrought spew!

Also, was there an EC mention without any comment from his longtime companion, Dave? Where is that guy?

Jay said...

New York?