Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Bastard Book Report


We sat on the patio outside his room and talked for two hours. I was really nervous, because he was one of my heroes. And I was also afraid that he wouldn’t be really smart anymore, that he’d be a caricature of himself, like happens to a lot of people. But I was delighted. He was as sharp as a tack. He was everything I’d hoped. He was really open and honest. He was just telling me about his life and about writing his songs. He said, “They just came through me, it wasn’t like I was having to compose them. That doesn’t happen anymore, I just can’t write them that way anymore.” Then he paused and said to me with his raspy voice and little smile, “But I still can sing them.” -Steve Jobs, on his meeting with Bob Dylan. [in Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson]

Any of yous don't have the Jobs biography and need some fine holiday reading for your damn Kindles, this is a real page-turner. I'm no accomplished reader like our edumacator and book-blogger, but iRecommend this anyway.

4 comments:

Dave said...

Been waiting for a review from someone I actually know. Very much looking forward to this. I won't be using a Kindle though, if that's OK with you.

Mike said...

I'm actually surprised to hear that this bio is compatible with paper and ink.

Joe said...

What's a book?

Jay said...

Compatible with paper and ink, but not Flash.

I've got about 200 pages to go on The Long Ships. (EXCELLENT read BTW, some other bastard recommended it.) But I might pick this one up when I finish.