Tuesday, February 24, 2009

What Are You Listening To?

Lord, I'm musically constipated. I could probably find some undigested hunk of something in my musical intestines, but in my laziness, I've been falling back on comfort food: The Hold Steady, Green Day, Nirvana. Anyone listening to anything bristling with fresh life these days? I went back to Guided by Voices for a bit, but it didn't last. All suggestions welcomed.

Maybe the musical malaise goes with the time of year: gray, cold, wet, and uninspiring. Great time for Mardi Gras, to rouse you out of it. Why are all the best excuses for public drunkenness related to religious holidays?

7 comments:

Joe said...

I got nothin'.

Jay said...

I've been on a HUGE krautrock jag the last few weeks, but my recent snobby post has got me rocking the Urge.

Matt said...

i've been digging Jose Gonzalez for a while. Think Nick Drake with acoustic classical guitar. I was in a similar music funk a while ago, and I got into electroni stuff like Gorillaz, DJ shadow, and UNKLE. Check out my up and coming music blog which will surely eclipse Jay's soon. Here's the link to the blog:

http://hearnoevilseenoevil2.blogspot.com/
it's in it's infancy, but shows promise.

Mike said...

Trust me, Matt, it eclipses Jay's already. Thanks for the good suggestions.

Mike said...

UO, great idea. I was on that before my last trip and kind of forgot about it.

Andrew said...

I've been listening to a lot of new orleans music lately, owing to how its almost Lent and all, but a couple of pop-ier discoveries are Lay Low, an Icelandic singer with a voice that is a combination of Bjork and Muddy Waters, and I Monster, a British cross between Nick Drake and Massive Attack. Both can be found, of course on myspace

Dave said...

I saw Ben Folds last night. His first two solo albums are excellent: catchy songs, great lyrics, a real sense of humor. Try Songs for Silverman or Rockin' the Suburbs. The latest, (Way to Normal)- not so much.