Saturday, June 11, 2011

Super Gr8.


Super 8 is a fine way to spend your hard-earned entertainment dollar.  At times it feels like a tribute to Spielberg with shades of The Goonies, Jaws, Jurassic Park and ET, which spells good summer fun, with some sappiness, of course.  And Elle Fanning is a helluva good young actress. 

I really like that this was not 3-D, which has become tired and expensive.  After Avatar, the industry should have just said, "well, there you have it." 

What other summer films are on your radar?  (I know we're all about to wet our pants to see HP7b, so skip that one.)

5 comments:

Jay said...

I've recently become interested in a summer blockbuster sub-genre known as the "superhero movie," so I'll be seeing Captain Uhmerka: First Avenger, Green Lantern (even though I know in my heart of hearts that it will suck) and X-Men: First Class.

I also want to see Super 8 - especially after reading your endorsement - and of course, Cars 2.

Dave said...

Hope to see it this weekend.

Eric said...

Thanks for the update Mike. Starting to feel lame for not seeing Super 8 yet. No interest in Raise the Green Lantern, and may not get around to X-men. Will be first in line to HP7B and want Jay personally to take me to Avenger Man.

I think it's every bastard's duty to see Conan O'Brien Can't Stop and Troll Hunter [Norwegian with English subtitles].

Rise of the Planet of the Apes may grab me in August.

Jay said...

Rise of the Planet of the Apes? My heart says yes but my brain says no. I still haven't forgiven Tim Burton for the reboot. Joe, didn't we see that together with Soozan?

Dave said...

LOVED Super 8 - saw it today. JJ Abrams, but positively Spielbergian in many respects. Rise of the Planet of the Apes stirred some interest, but not in my lap.